It’s Memorial Day Weekend, which is the unofficial beginning of summer on Coronado!* I know I say this about every season, but summer is the BEST time of year on the Island. For real! I’m really excited for another fun summer filled with all of my favorite things to do. It was hard to narrow it down, but here are my five favorite summer activities on Coronado.
- Spend the Day at the Beach. There’s nothing better than a summer day at the beach and we certainly have a variety of beaches to choose from. Glorietta Bay Beach, Stingray Point, Ferry Landing Marketplace, dog beach, Silver Strand State Beach, and of course, Central Beach, which is one of the top rated beaches in the country. Check out my list of Five Things to Take to the Beach, claim your place on the sand, and enjoy a great day!
- Enjoy Outdoor Concerts. Summertime means lots of great outdoor live music on the Island. Concerts in the Park kicks off Memorial Day weekend at Spreckels Park continues every Sunday evening through Labor Day. Check out the schedule here, and come early for Art in the Park every other Sunday! For daytime tunes in the sunshine, check out the bands at the Ferry Landing each weekend.
- Play in the Water. Longer days, warmer water temps, and the summer vibe makes me want to play in, on, under and over the water! Check back the next couple of weeks to see my favorite water activities on – and off– the Island to try this summer from paddle boarding to jet packing!
- Crawl Down Orange Ave. A super fun way to spend a day is to shop, eat, and drink your way down Orange Ave. There are so many cute stores, tasty treats, and refreshing cocktails to enjoy! Check back this summer for my favorite crawl route!
- Take the Water Taxi to Petco Park. Going to a baseball game is a quintessential summer activity, but arriving via boat is even better! Grab the water taxi from the Ferry Landing or Seaforth and take a fun ride along the bay to cheer on the Padres at beautiful Petco Park. Bonus: Arrive early for a yummy brunch in centerfield before every Sunday home game! 619.235.TAXI.
*Please be sure to remember the reason for this holiday weekend! Join us in observing Memorial Day with a special ceremony on Monday, May 26 at 10:00 a.m. at Star Park.
Alisa Kerr is a Coronado fan, resident, business owner, IBC member, Jr. Woman’s Club member, Beach Babe member, and more. Since 2002 she has made it her hobby to explore, enjoy, and share all of the amazing things the Island has to offer. Alisa is a local attorney whose firm, Kerr Law, takes pride in serving and supporting Coronado’s small businesses and residents.